How you can help!
Everybody can make a difference to the quality of the air we breathe and the environment we live in. Yes, that's right, everybody, including YOU!
We all add to air pollution, but there are things that you can do to try and help make our environment a cleaner place.
Here are a few ideas to get you started…can you think of any more?
Which ones could YOU do?
1) Use public transport - Try to use buses and trains instead of using a car whenever you can.
By using public transport we can help reduce the number of vehicles on the road and help reduce air pollution.
2) Walk or cycle - For short journeys, walking or cycling is often quicker than going in the car (you don't have to queue!), it doesn't produce any pollution and it will help you to keep fit and healthy. Walking or cycling with your friends is also great fun!
3) Car Share - The best way to get to school is by walking or cycling, but if you do travel to school in the car and you have some empty seats in the back, why not pick up some of your friends along the way? By sharing trips we can help reduce the number of vehicles on the road and help air quality in York.
4) Be energy efficient at home and at school - Simple things like remembering to switch off lights or the television when you leave the room can all help save electricity and help air quality. This is because electricity is made at power stations. If you remember, power stations contribute to air pollution.
5) Recycling helps air pollution - Did you know that each person in the UK throws away their own body weight in rubbish every seven weeks! A lot of things we use can be recycled, for example, paper, bottles, plastic and tin cans can all be recycled. Why do you think recycling can help air quality?
6) Try to use local products, made close to where you live - This helps reduce pollution from transporting goods around the country. If you have a computer, why not do your shopping on the Internet? You can buy just about anything on the Internet nowadays, your parents can even do the weekly supermarket shop online!
Question time : what can you do differently this week which will help improve air quality in York? Can you think of anything else to add the list above which will help improve air quality?
You should be an air quality whiz-kid by now! Join me for a day at school, where we can learn more about air quality - you'll even have the chance to play some air quality games to test your knowledge. If you fancy the challenge click here to play the games!